Sunday, September 18, 2011

DIY wedding cake

Had a fiasco last weekend doing a first trial on my wedding cake. I was going to do it from scratch but since I'm also doing 4 other flavors of cupcakes, and the kitchen I have to work in so soooo small (as are all kitchens in San Francisco) I decided to try a box. I've never done a fully iced and decorated cake using a box mix.

First I tried Betty Crocker Super Moist White Cake.... it fell apart when I tried to ice it. I even tried keeping it in the freezer for a couple of hours. It was just too moist and fluffy.

I then went out and bought Dunken Hines White Cake, which was definitely better. But after a very crumbly crumb coat, and keeping it in the freezer for a couple hours, icing it still was a bit tough as it was still kind of fluffy. Then when I put the fondant on, it didn't stick very well to the Whipped Icing from a can and I ended up with large bubbles. I'm thinking the later results from not having a fondant smoother.

I am next going to check out a tip from a friend in baking class regarding the cake. She says they add shortening to their cake recipes to make them a bit more solid and they still taste okay. I will let you know how it goes. I also got some tylose powder to whip up a batch of royal icing to help the fondant stick better.

Unfortunately, I only have one more chance to get it right. But, as I reminded my mother, a Power Rangers cake from Safeway will be just as memorable. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment